Applications are closed for the 2021 Spring Semester, but check back for information on the 2021 Fall Semester!
The Arizona Humane Society’s Humane Teens program is a unique youth leadership program for teenagers between the ages of 14 and 17 who are interested in animal welfare. The 2021 Spring Semester program takes place between February 20, 2021 and May 22, 2021. The application deadline is Saturday, February 13, 2021.
Becoming a Humane Teen is a special commitment to the Arizona Humane Society that requires 24 hours of service within a school semester. Humane Teens will:
- Receive training in animal handling skills
- Help lead youth programs and presentations
- Assist with the daily care of exotic animals and homeless pets
- Gain mentorship, leadership and career discovery experience
- Accrue service hours
- Must be between the ages of 14 and 17 years old
- Must complete the online application
- Must submit two reference letters
- If application is accepted, must complete required interview process
- If formally accepted into the program following the interview, must attend orientation (Saturday, February 20, 2020)
- There is a $195 participation fee which each Humane Teen must provide after acceptance into the program. Scholarship information is available below.
Thanks to the generosity of our partners at Thunderbird Charities, Humane Teens who require financial assistance are eligible to receive scholarships for the 2021 Spring Semester program! Scholarships include:
- Semester registration fee waived (value of $195.00)
- Uniform (one t-shirt per semester)
- Community service hours for time spent training or working regularly scheduled shifts
Scholarship application questions are accessible through the program application link.
All AHS youth programs are aligned with a phased reentry approach to help ensure the safety of participants and staff. While we are hopeful that the Humane Teens program will be able to take place in person, we recognize that it can be difficult to predict how our world will look in the months to come. As a result, we are prepared to implement various strategies to continue to allow the Humane Teens program to be a safe place where teens are provided with opportunities to make an impact in their community, gain job skills and make a difference. Depending on state COVID-19 impact and the timing of AHS’ reentry strategies, program changes may include:
- A reduced number of participants permitted to sign up per shift
- An increased number of shifts offered to allow more opportunities to engage with the program
- Virtual program: Weekly assignments offered through Google Classroom, including nationally-recognized shelter training modules utilized by AHS staff (would allow for participants to obtain service hours)
We are thrilled to be welcoming new teens to the upcoming semester! Please explore the following tips to ensure that your application is filled out appropriately, allowing you a better chance of making it to the interview round.
- We are looking to hear from YOU (the teen)! While we recognize that the adults in your life are excited for you, it is important that you fill out the application yourself. Additionally, if you have questions about the program, please reach out to us yourself. Humane Teens is a great first step into the workforce. We are looking for teens interested in developing life skills like accountability, appropriate communication and ambition.
- It’s okay for your application to not be perfect. In fact, we welcome your mistakes! We understand that this may be the first time you’ve applied for a program like this. Please know that we do not expect you to have a full resume ready to submit – we anticipate this being the start of what is bound to be an amazing resume you’ll develop in the years to come!
- Start your application early! This will make sure you have time to review your first draft after a few days to think things through. Waiting until the last minute can add on unnecessary pressure that can make this process scarier than it needs to be. Take a deep breath and submit it when you’re ready.
- We all “love animals.” Let us know what sets you apart! What are you looking to learn? How do you think this program will help you long-term? Is there a particular life experience that allowed you to realize you wanted animals to be a large part of your life? What are you able to bring to this program that makes you a great fit? Know that this program (and every career with animals) is more than just petting puppies and kittens – it is hard work! We clean pets and their spaces, train others and educate the community about our lifesaving work. At AHS, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive culture and we look forward to hearing why you would like to be part of our team.
If you have any questions, please reach out to Claire at email@example.com.