Heartbreak Turns to Triumph After Puppy Ingests Meth
Five-Month-Old Hailey was Found by a Phoenix Police Officer in a Dumpster.
Hailey had been tossed away like meaningless trash. She was taken to a local emergency clinic and then transferred to the Arizona Humane Society’s Second Chance Animal Trauma Hospital™.
Hailey tested positive for methamphetamine toxicity and showed signs of drug-induced hyperthermia with a temperature soaring to nearly 105 degrees. Hailey was suffering from a rapid heartbeat and stumbling around. Every time she would try to turn to the side, this poor pup would fall to the ground.
Over the next several weeks, AHS’ trauma team treated her with sedatives to slow down her systems and IV fluid support to help excrete the drugs from her little body. She would eventually move to the home of a Foster Hero, where she would experience the kindness, comfort and love she was denied before.
Nearly one month after her heartbreaking ordeal, Hailey is now a happy-go-lucky puppy with a new, loving family to spoil her.
Each year, our trauma hospital provides intensive care for more than 11,000 homeless animals with nowhere else to turn. And more animals like Hailey urgently need you this summer.
You can help provide lifesaving care to animals in our community by making a gift to our Urgent Summer Fund. When you give today, your generosity will help support our comprehensive medical, behavioral rehabilitation, surrender intervention and spay/neuter initiatives that have saved an additional 80,000 lives over the last five years.
Thank you for saving more local animals like Hailey this summer.