Paw Up If You Have Questions
We have answers! Here are the things you need to know to become a volunteer at the Arizona Humane Society.
We’d Love for You to Join Our Volunteer Pack!
Here are the requirements for becoming an AHS volunteer:
- Must be at least 16 years or older (see youth volunteering section for those under 16 years of age).
- Must be able to commit to one shift a week for 6 months. (see school hours section below for short commitment options).
- Must have internet access to attend a volunteer orientation online.
- Felony convictions of any kind, or misdemeanors related to drugs, theft, or violence, preclude involvement in our volunteer program.
It takes just three easy steps!
- Complete an online volunteer orientation in the comfort of your own home. If you are interested in working directly with our pets, you will also be required to take additional safety and animal handling modules so we can help best ensure the safety of both you and our pets.
- There is a fee of $25.00 to become a volunteer and this covers onboarding cost and your volunteer gear. On your first shift, you will receive your volunteer shirt, name badge and necessary volunteer gear.
- Submit your application and one of our volunteer coordinators will be in touch with you within 3-5 days to find the best volunteer opportunity for your skills and interest.
We have several options for you to gain those volunteer hours while helping our pets in need!
- Complete projects at home with our Volunteer Now Packet. Bring in your items and get a sign off on hours by a Volunteer Engagement staff member.
- Attend one of our monthly public volunteer events where you will be able to help our furry shelter residents and make an impact by crafting cat toys, making dog treats, and more! See our event calendar.
- If you are able to commit to one shift per week for 6 months, you can volunteer with our pets in one of our shelters. Start by taking our online orientation and complete a volunteer application.
Does your child want to get involved?
We love when young animal-lovers want to get involved! Although we require a minimum age of 16 to volunteer at the Arizona Humane Society, we do have several ways in which your youth can help and make a difference for our pets in need. Learn more.
Unfortunately, we are not able to accommodate court-ordered community service at this time.
Volunteer as a Pack!
AHS offers enhanced experiences for animal-loving groups of 4-100 people who want to help homeless pets in need!
Our donation based experiences help cover the resources needed to host groups, as well as providing funding for the sick, injured and abused pets in our care. Since we are not government funded and rely on donations from our community, these donations from groups really help us with our lifesaving work. We understand that not all groups have funds to contribute and simply want to contribute their time, which is equally as amazing! If this is the case for you, please consider our Fur-ree Experience: Thrifting to Save Lives. View our group experiences by clicking here.
To speak to a volunteer coordinator about your group interests and to learn more about our experiences and availability, please click “I Want More Info!” and complete an interest form. We will contact you within 24 hours.