Join Us as a Voice for Animals
If you’d like to receive more information regarding AHS’ animal advocacy efforts, sign up now to receive our advocacy alerts. You can also learn how you can help support animal welfare initiatives by downloading our e-Advocacy Guide.
We thank you for joining us as the voice for animals.
This bill strengthens laws to protect pets by prohibiting the manufacture, sale or possession of animal fighting paraphernalia, including knives, treadmills, pharmaceuticals, gaffs and fighting pits, for the purpose of animal fighting or cockfighting. An individual who violates this law will be guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor (the highest misdemeanor). Sponsored by Representative John Kavanagh. Read the full bill. The Arizona Humane Society strongly supports HB2062.
This bill would allow cities to regulate pet sales, giving them the opportunity to pass city ordinances that prevent pet stores from selling animals acquired through puppy mills. It would overturn a state law that preempts local ordinances regarding commercial pet sales. Sponsored by Representative Dr. Amish Shah. Read the full bill. The Arizona Humane Society strongly supports HB2531.
- Law passed ensuring animal abusers will face stronger penalties in the worst cases of abuse – the ones where abusers intentionally and knowingly inflict cruel mistreatment. Animal cruelty charges were increased from a Class 6 to Class 5 felony, meaning these cases can no longer be dropped to a misdemeanor and also include the possibility of jail time and supervised probation/treatment.
- Law stiffened so protections for animals now include protections against harassment of working animals (for example, police dogs left in a vehicle)
- Law enacted allowing Good Samaritans to rescue a child or pet from a hot car without risk of civil liability
- Tax check-off box created, allowing for a voluntary contribution to Spay/Neuter Fund – in 2019, this fundraised more than $180,000.
- City of Glendale animal cruelty ordinance enacted to include a ban on tethering, ventilation requirements, adequate space for exercise and more.
- Greyhound racing banned in Arizona
- Breed-based laws banned in Arizona
- Salt River Wild Horses protected
- City of Phoenix adopts tethering and hoarding ordinances
- SB 1053 mandates spay/neuter for all shelter pets
- Pet-friendly license plate created
- New animal cruelty laws designate certain cases of felony offenses and harsher penalties for abusers
- Cockfighting outlawed in Arizona
- Shoka’s Law (Puppy Lemon Law) passed making pet store owners responsible for sale they know were born with defects or are ill
- Abuse laws extended to stray animals
- Dog Fighting Law makes dogfighting illegal in Arizona
- City of Phoenix ordinance that prohibits leaving dogs in cars on hot days