Spooktacular Pet Safety Tips for HOWL-O-WEEN from the Arizona Humane Society
Although hoo-mans may love trick-or-treat fun and a solid candy haul, Halloween can be a frightening and dangerous time for our furry loved ones at home. On average, emergency vet clinics see a 12% increase of emergency calls on and around Halloween.
No matter what your plans are this year, keeping pets safe doesn’t have to be tricky with these important safety tips from our experts:
Howl-O-Ween Pet Safety Tips
- Keep pets indoors in a secure, quiet space with plenty of food, water and toys as pets can easily escape through open doors
- Refrain from having pets go trick-or-treating with you as they may become spooked and run off
- Make sure your pets are microchipped, complemented by ID tag and collar
- Keep candy and treats, especially chocolate and alcohol, up and away from pets
- Ensure pet costumes fit properly and never force pets to wear a costume – try for a quick photo opp instead
- Use extra caution around Jack-O-Lanterns and decorations
If you see an injured stray pet who may have gotten spooked by the commotion, please call AHS’ field dispatch team at 602.997.7585 Ext. 2073. If your pet goes missing or you find a pet, visit azhumane.org/lostpet for tips to increase the chances of being reunited with your furry friend.