Memorial Day Weekend Pet Safety Tips
With an estimated 60% more people expected to travel this holiday weekend than this time last year, equating to about 37 million people in total, 12 million of whom are traveling by car according to the AAA, it is important to keep our furry friends in mind when traveling.
No matter what mode of transportation your family takes, the Arizona Humane Society wants to remind pet owners to travel safely this Memorial Day Weekend and throughout the summer with the following pet travel safety tips:
- NEVER leave your pets unattended in a vehicle.
- Make sure ID tags and microchips are up-to-date with the proper contact information.
- Bring proof of vaccinations and medical records when traveling across state lines.
- Plan for the proper carrier or kennel and plan to stop plenty of times for your pet to relieve themselves.
- Keep your dogs on a leash when removing them from the vehicle.
- Secure your pet’s crate so it does not slide or shift. Doggie seat belts are even available!
- Prepare a pet-friendly travel kit with food, bowls, leash, toys, travel documents, medications, etc.
- For pets that need medication or are on a special diet, it is important to bring the proper amount needed for the time you will be away. Give yourself plenty of time to contact your veterinarian and refill prescriptions, if needed.