Back to Blog
Wishing You Safe Pawlidays and a Happy Mew Year from AHS!
Keep Your Furry Friends Merry and Bright! With These Holiday Pet Safety Tips!'Tis the season for celebration! With the holidays just around the corner, the Arizona Humane Society wants to ensure every household keeps their pets safe with a few important safety tips for the entire family.
- Holiday Plants
- Many holiday plants are toxic to animals when ingested, including poinsettias, holly and mistletoe – consider using artificial plants instead.
- Oh, Christmas Tree
- When decorating your tree, use plastic ornaments rather than glass, keep tinsel out of pets' reach, and cover the tree's water supply with tinfoil or a blanket.
- Keep Christmas lights up high and out of reach of your animals, as loose wires can be harmful to your pets
- Securely anchor your tree to prevent it from falling on, and potentially injuring, your pet.
- Safe Place
- Give pets a safe, quiet space with fresh water, bedding and toys. If your pet prefers their kennel, make sure it is easily accessible and away from the festivities.
- New Year’s Eve is one of the biggest days for pets to run away due to fireworks and loud noises. Make sure your dog or cat is in a safe, escape-proof space as the clock ticks closer to midnight. If your pet does become lost, click here for lost and found pet resources.
- If traveling with your pets, make sure ID tags and microchips are updated with correct contact information.
- Provide a proper carrier and give your pets plenty of bathroom breaks while on the road. Remember to never leave pets alone in a car.
- Don't forget to bring an appropriate supply of your pet's medication or special food.
- Research nearby animal clinics and hospitals in the area you are staying at in case of an emergency.