How to Keep Your Pets Safe this Holiday Season
‘Tis the season for celebration and the Arizona Humane Society (AHS) wants to keep pets merry and bright this holiday! With the big day just around the corner, here are a few important safety tips for the entire family.
• Many holiday plants are toxic to animals when ingested, including holly and mistletoe– consider using an artificial plant instead.
Oh, Christmas Tree
• When decorating your tree, use plastic ornaments rather than glass, don’t use tinsel and cover the water of the tree with tinfoil or a blanket so that thirsty pets don’t try to drink it. Tree water can poison your pets. Preservatives, pesticides, fertilizers and other agents are commonly added to tree water to keep the tree fresh.
• Keep Christmas lights up high and out of reach of your animals as loose wires can be harmful to your pets if they get entangled or try to chew on them.
• Securely anchor your tree to prevent it from falling on and potentially injuring your pet.
• Give pets a safe, quiet space with fresh water, bedding and toys. If your pet prefers their kennel, make sure it is easily accessible and away from the festivities.
• New Year’s Eve is one of the biggest days for pets to run away due to fireworks and loud noises. Make sure your dog or cat is in a safe, escape-proof space as the clock ticks closer to midnight.
• If travelling with your pets, make sure ID tags and microchips are updated with correct contact information.
• NEVER leave your pets alone in the car, have a proper carrier and give your pets plenty of potty breaks.
• Make sure to bring plenty of your pet’s medication or special food and make sure to research animal clinics and hospitals in the area you are staying at in case of emergency.
If you think your pet has ingested something toxic, call your veterinarian immediately. Additionally, the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center is 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They can be reached at 888.426.4435. A consultation fee may apply.
On a lighter note, for those who are considering giving a pet as a gift this holiday season, please visit the Arizona Humane Society. AHS’ adoption matchmakers will work with adopters to understand their recipient’s considerations such as time commitments, resources, lifestyle and special needs. AHS offers a 100% adoption guarantee, if needed, and also offers a Critter Card gift card or people can create an adoption starter kit in our Petique store to help get a future adopter on the right path!