Check Out AHS’ Humane Teens Program!
The Arizona Humane Society’s Humane Teens program is a unique youth leadership program for teenagers between the ages of 14 and 17 who are interested in animal welfare.
The 2020 Fall Semester program takes place between October 17, 2020 and December 19, 2020. The application deadline is September 30, 2020.Becoming a Humane Teen is a special commitment to the Arizona Humane Society that requires 24 hours of service within a school semester. Humane Teens will:
- Receive training in animal handling skills
- Help lead youth programs and presentations
- Assist with the daily care of exotic animals and homeless pets
- Gain mentorship, leadership and career discovery experience
- Accrue service hours
- Must be between the ages of 14 and 17 years old
- Must complete the online application
- Must submit two reference letters
- If application is accepted, must complete required interview process
- If formally accepted into the program following the interview, must attend orientation (Saturday, October 17, 2020)
- There is a $195 participation fee which each Humane Teen must provide after acceptance into the program.
NOTE: Due to COVID-19 these classes will be held virtually for the time being. All AHS youth programs are aligned with a phased reentry approach to help ensure the safety of participants and staff. As a result, we are prepared to implement various strategies to continue to allow the Humane Teens program to be a safe place where teens are provided with opportunities to make an impact in their community, gain job skills and make a difference. Weekly assignments will be offered through Google Classroom, including nationally-recognized shelter training modules utilized by AHS staff (which would allow for participants to obtain service hours).