Arizona is known for its intense summer heat, and most residents know how to take the proper precautions to ensure their outside pets are protected. Although our winters may not be as extreme as our summers, when night falls, so do the temperatures. We want to help ensure the safety of your pet, in any weather condition.
If you have an outside pet or your pet simply prefers to be outside, follow these tips during these cold winter months to ensure happy, healthy pets:
- Provide Shelter: Make sure your pet has a nice, warm, enclosed area (such as a dog house) to block the wind and a soft, cozy bed/blankets to keep your pet from lying directly on the cold ground.
- Know their limits: Although many pets prefer to be outside, sometimes the conditions may be to extreme for them to handle. Pets can develop hypothermia just like humans. If your pet is showing signs such as whining, shivering or weakness…get them back inside quickly.
- Check their paws: Be sure to check your dog’s paws frequently for cold weather injuries such as cracked paw pads or bleeding.
- Dress to impress: Dressing your furry friend can help provide an extra layer to help keep them warm during these chilly months. For fashionable, trendy looks that will ensure you pet tackles this winter with style, shop AHS’ Petique locations!
- Wellness checks: Cold weather can worsen some already existing medical conditions. Schedule your pet’s annual wellness check at AHS’ Veterinary Clinics to ensure their health can handle the weather.
- Check your hoods: Many cats search for a place to keep warm this time of year, and a vehicle engine is often an optimal choice for them. Before starting your engine, check under your vehicle, honk your horn and bang on the hood.
* If you have a pet outside in need of a blanket to keep warm, AHS is happy to help. Stop by either of our Campus locations for assistance.
**If you have extra blankets that you would like to donate to help keep Arizona pets warm during these winter months, we would greatly appreciate it. Donations can be dropped off at any of our valley wide locations.